Innovative Filter Beds Competition
Stormwater purification in urban environments is a challenge to any city, and Västerås is no exception. We have an efficient and modern waste water purification plant, yet rain water largely pours into lake Mälaren without prior treatment in the purification plant.
Therefore, Mälarenergy announces an innovation competition with the aim of finding new effective methods to purify stormwater in urban environments. This may involve treatment plants, biobeds etc. Economy and surface efficiency will be rewarded.
We want to find solutions in technology readiness level (TRL) 6 and 7, i.e. technologies that are rather close to market but that need testing and demonstration in real environment in order to be optimized before market introduction.
Installation, testing and maintenance of innovative filter beds not yet on the market
The work will include Installation, testing and maintenance as well as evaluation of the measures for reduction of phosphorus and pollutants at specific hot spots. The hot spots will create a test-bed for testing and demonstration of innovative solutions for reduction of phosphorus and pollutants in real environments. The activity is divided in two major parts.
- After the competition deadline; proposals will be evaluated by a jury consisting of experts from Mälarenergi (who represent a future potential customer), Mälardalen University (researchers in the field) and The Swedish Water & Wastewater Association (an association formed by Swedish municipalities). Up to four proposals will be chosen as winners of the competition and will be awarded in a ceremony. The prize of the competition is that the prototypes presented will be bought and tested by Mälarenergi. The planning of the installation of the innovative solutions will be done jointly between the winning companies, Mälarenergi and Mälardalen University in order to secure valid results needed from the tests. The activities will start in month 25 and continue until Month 30.
- Installation, testing and maintenance of chosen innovative techniques and methods at various hot spots in the storm water collecting system. The activities will start in month 31 and continue until month 60 in order to be monitored and evaluated taking into account seasonal variations and effects over time. The activities will deliver results to the innovative companies, as well as to Mälarenergi and to researchers at Mälardalen University who will monitor the demonstration activities.
- Enter the competition by submitting a paper of maximum XX pages, detailing your propsed methods to purify stormwater in urban environments. The paper must also include a XXXX
- We want to find proposals that are close to the market that we can install and test run.
- In case none of the submitted contest entries meets our criteria, there will be no winner. Competition criteria:
- Expected purification rate
- Feasible / installable for Mälarenergy
- Surface-efficient and suitable for urban environments
No costs are incurred by Mälarenergi for the production of competition, grants etc.